November 07, 2013

Teff Porridge with Pecans, Dates, and Apples


As the weather starts to dip and chilly November mornings make it harder and harder to get out of a warm, cozy bed, I like to get reacquainted with my old friend, porridge. A friend I have neglected through the summer months, but a friend who is always there to return to, each fall. A good pal that porridge.


And these days, I can't get enough of this porridge, made with the tiniest grain you've ever laid eyes upon. And I'm not just saying that. It actually is the smallest grain in the world! Have you been introduced yet? Dear reader, meet teff. Teff can be a bit shy, being so tiny and all. But if you make the first move and extend a hand, you will be greatly rewarded.


My dear friend Val from Open Kitchen introduced me to this porridge. It's a great way to start the day because teff is packed with protein, calcium, and iron. And as a bonus, it's even gluten-free. 


I generally simply follow the porridge recipe found on the back of the Bob'sRed Mill teff package, adding whichever nuts and fruit I have on hand. But this hearty apple date pecan teff porridge is my latest variation on Bob's recipe. It's deliciously nutty, sweet, creamy, and filling. You can find teff in most health food stores or you can order it online

Get my recipe here on PBS Food.


10 comments:

  1. Aube, I love teff! I've been using it more and more since I took Jennifer Katzinger's Gluten-Free and Vegan Bread book out at the library - she uses teff in a lot of her recipes. I'm definitely going to give this porridge a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I'll have to check out that book, sounds fabulous and I'd love to hear of other ways to use teff. Thanks Julia! :-)

      Delete
  2. i love teff but i like it plain / a little butter is all it needs, and a sprinkle of salt

    ReplyDelete
  3. btw have you tried making the ethiopian bread with teff flour ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't yet, I'm a bit intimidated by it but I hear it's fermented and I would love to try it! :-) I agree teff is quite perfect plain, such a tasty grain...

      Delete
  4. This looks and sounds amazing! The flavor combination is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aube! Hello! Care to share the brand of your awesome brown leather shoes? I love them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi France, so sorry I missed your comment, just saw it now, a year later, oops! I found those shoes at a thrift shop and wore them for a while but they were a bit too big for me so I passed them on, I have no idea what brand they were, unfortunately. But here's a link to one of my Pinterest page which has some similar shoes, with links to where they're from (most of them): https://www.pinterest.com/kitchenvignette/closet-candy/

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing in detail. Your blog is an inspiration! Apart of really useful tips, it's just really ! its Producing Teff grain, Packing teff and Exproting Ethiopian food items.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This recipe was recommended to me by Grist & Toll in Pasadena, CA. The suggestion to toast the teff is great since that brings out the nutty flavor. I used coconut cream & made a couple of other substitutions (based on what I had in my kitchen), but I was very pleased with the results achieved by following the step-by-step instructions. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete